Thursday, 14 February 2013

Doodles on the train

So yes, last weekend I was off on the train for a couple of hours, as promised I was drawing all the way. However due to the constraints of reserved seat allocation and tightly tiered seat layouts, many Eastern region trains don't offer themselves easily to sketch the other passengers. (That is a grumble, yes!) On the outward journey this is as much as I was able to see:


On the return I virtually had the carriage to myself, so again, no sketching from life. However, at times like these the pen has other invisible realms to explore ......




9 comments:

celia.carlile said...

Interesting sketches . I love the detail. The character behind the curtain is wonderful. Celia Carlile

rik said...

Lovely sketches!

Rik

Lesley Moss said...

Love these.

Gerb said...

Love these, John. The character behind the curtain sparks all sorts of wonderful story ideas...

Wouter said...

It never ceases to amaze me how artists like yourself can whip this kind of beauty out just like that. Please get in touch next time you visit Japan, because I do want you to come to ASIJ. Really wonderful stuff, John

Candy Gourlay said...

Fab, John! What pen do you use?

John Shelley said...

Thank you everyone! Candy, for sketching I use Pilot Hi-Tec-C 0.4 pens. You can get them in the UK but I tend to stock up in Tokyo where they're a fraction the price - the fine point nibs screw up quite a lot, especially if dropped, so I always carry spares.

LLaranjaS said...

I loved your work, congratulations.
His drawings can touch our soul.
Very good indeed.
Ps: I'm Brazilian and I can not speak English very well, excuse any errors.

seven7houghts said...

Love the last one with the drape, fabulous.