Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Jack and the Beanstalk

The artwork for Jack and the Beanstalk is finished, I'm just waiting for approval from the publisher now. Here's how some of the previously posted line drawings have turned out after painting.

On the whole I've tried to restrain colour to avoid swamping the linework, however the style of illustration led me to quite detailed treatment for some spreads. Based on previous commissions for Fukuinkan, the editorial team were very clear that they wanted me to approach the book in the most detailed 'traditional' aspect of my style. Hopefully this fits the brief!



Jack and the Beanstalk (Japanese title ジャックと豆の木 (Jack to Mame no Ki)) retold by yours truely, will be released in Japan by Fukuinkan Shoten publishers in September.


4 comments:

June said...

These are fab illustrations John, and there is so much detail to make one want to return to look at them again and again. I am sure the publisher will be thrilled with your final artwork... they should be.

Leanne said...

Beautiful work, John!

Lu said...

wonderful! I especially like the giant up the beanstalk looking down, fantastic perspective.

art is jok(k)e(n) said...

what a beautiful illustrations! I remember this story about huge been plant growing into the sky when I was a kid. Always stay on my mind....
Great work!