Friday, 3 February 2012

Jack in Progress


I just finished inking in! And yes, it's from Jack and the Beanstalk as many people soon spotted. This is the scene where Jack ignores his mother's pleading and ascends the beanstalk for the third and last time. The brooding clouds and tossed leaves are to suggest the trouble that lies ahead. Can you spot something unusual about those clouds?

It looks quite flat at the moment, but the clouds, drawn in thinned ink, will blend into the watercolour washes, while sharper colours on the beanstalk will pull out. Often half the lines blend in when I lay on colour, it's a problem I always have with my watercolour paintings, but I try to turn this to my advantage and use drawing to anchor washes and provide some tonal range without relying entirely on paint.



All that remains now is to paint it, but that won't be for a while yet, as I tend to draw all the spreads of a book first before switching to colour, there are still a lot of spreads awaiting the ink pot and pen.

11 comments:

Candy Gourlay said...

Love your style, John. Post the final when you're done, will you?

Mai Kemble said...

ya know, this is just brilliant... love it. :)
really, really, really love it. :)

Dave P Perlmutter said...

Nice blog and content, now following. Follow me at wrongplaceatthewrongtime.blogspot.com

Good to connect.

#1 Web Designer said...

Did you draw that all by your own?

I love that picture :)

222 said...

What an interesting profession you are in. Delightful drawings.

Luisa said...

oh I love your energy!!! wonderful! (love the clouds too, bit of a likeness there :) )

Luisa said...

btw have you considered using an oil based ink to stop the lines blending in to the watercolor washes? (for the bits you want to keep)..just a thought..

John said...

The ink doesn't literally blend with the colour, it's water-fast drawing ink. It's just that the contrast of the white paper is lost when colour is applied, the lines are still there, but to the eye they don't stand out against the colour. Some of the finest lines will indeed be covered up by paint, but that's minor, the main problem is the loss of contrast.

Luisa said...

ah ok, I understand.
Still looking forward to the filled in pictures though. As much as I adore black and white images I adore color even more :)

miller70 said...

The snapshots of your work are phenomenal. Love the inking work.

Art Fist said...

Really like your work, if you would like it showcased on www.artfist.org let me know.
- Jon