Thursday, 30 September 2010

Flying High

Here are some simple cuts from a regular series for ANA's inflight magazine Wingspan. The feature runs in alternative issues every 2 months on their international flights.

Each image is to illustrate an unusual festival celebrated in different parts of the world. Here are three: Man versus Horse Marathon (UK), Tanabata (Japan), and the Chonburi Water Buffalo race (Thailand).

Apart from being a fun series to work on, these stand-alone simple images give me a chance to experiment with texture.



4 comments:

kathryn evans said...

I love your work John - always has a sense of flow about it...particularly like the starry one...

trishphillips12 said...

Are these watercolour John, I especially love the ox.

John said...

The line is hand drawn in pen & ink but all the colour is digital. I'm tentatively starting to blend layers of textures into my digital work, I hate the sometimes mechanical feel of digital colour so I'm exploring some ways to give more subtlety & depth.

real estate directory said...

You have the perfect cartoons. :) nice done!