Friday, 10 July 2009

Outside-In

I've just finished an unusual (for me) book for British publisher Frances Lincoln Ltd, a non-fiction lift-the-flap for young children on the human body. Outside-in was written by Clare Smallman and first released in the mid 1980's with illustrations by Edwina Riddell, but for this new edition I was asked to completely overhaul the book to appeal to a modern readership.


The text and layout were pretty fixed, but it was an interesting project to approach. Many spreads consist of pictures of children, with a flap to reveal the working body underneath, thus...






In the illustrations I tried to achieve a balance between accurate depiction of children with just enough character and distortion to make a fun book.





There are also some vignette scenes like this.....























Outside-in will be co-released in the USA by Barrons, I'm not sure of the exact release date yet.

This was an interesting project quite different from my usual output. In Japan I established my career illustrating fairy tales and dreamy aspirational images, the UK seems a lot more gritty. After researching wasps and fleas for the "Nasty" book, I'm wondering what other in-the-face projects might be next!

2 comments:

kellie said...

I love the one showing muscles. It looks like a very nice approach for this kind of book - detail with a light touch.

Ginger*:) said...

So well done, so "Shelley" and so colorful..but a little bit scary when you lift the flap.