Saturday, 14 April 2007

A peek inside The Boat in the Tree

Here's some spreads from The Boat in the Tree. It was a great story to work on, with a gentle tone that lended itself to dream-like fantasy episodes.

As the story is narrated in first person by the boy, everything had to focus on him, so I tried to make the fantasy subtle rather than dominating the spreads. The biggest challenge was to maintain the flow from the reality of the boy's actual situation with the escapism of his imagination, without confusing the reader.




8 comments:

Annie Donwerth Chikamatsu said...

Thanks for the peek! I love the illustrations. Esp. the trees in the wind.
annie

Ginger*:)* said...

These are just so marvelous. Thanks so much for sharing! The colors, the point of view and the drama in each illustration is masterful.

qeshi said...

These are some lovely illustrations John!

I don't get the review by Gillian Engberg on Amazon thought, where she says that some children may be confused by some drawings that overlap real and imagined worlds.

Children usually have a more vivid imagination than grown-ups have. She is totally underestimating them.


Ps. I just have to share a piece of music I just finished. I can't stop listening to it

I love Raar

ds.

Marisa said...

These are really beautiful.

John said...

Thank you for the kind words everyone! I'm hoping it will do well, though being physically based in the Far East I can't do much to promote it... except keep my fingers crossed!

karen lee said...

Beautiful John. Great line quality, lively drawings, engaging compositions. It will do beautifully here.

Karen

June said...

I love these pictures John... Wish I had painted them :o)

Anonymous said...

I read the book -- pure delight--
and your illustrations improved the storyline greatly. I will be recommending it to readers.

MJ, reading teacher